Millwall boss unhappy with ‘crazy’ red card decision in enthralling QPR draw

MILLWALL boss Neil Harris blasted the “crazy decision” to send off Lee Gregory in Tuesday night’s 2-2 draw with QPR, who came from two goals down with 17 minutes left to rescue a point against their London rivals.

Gregory was dismissed in the 42nd minute with his side a goal ahead, after referee Roger East felt the striker had connected late in a collision with Josh Scowen.

It was Millwall’s second red card in two games, after Aiden O’Brien’s sending-off at Wolves at the weekend.

Ten-man Millwall managed to extend the early lead that Conor McLaughlin had given them when five minutes into the second half Jed Wallace drilled a low shot past Alex Smithies.

The Lions spent most of the rest of the game under pressure, with QPR sending numerous crosses into their opponents’ box.

The pressure eventually paid off for the home side, who pulled a goal back through Massimo Luongo in the 73rd minute.

QPR had 14 shots on target during the game, and despite Jordan Archer producing a number of excellent saves, he could do nothing to prevent substitute Matt Smith making it 2-2 with five minutes left.

And the Hoops almost stole all three points in injury-time, but Luke Freeman’s free-kick hit the top of the crossbar.

“It’s a really good point, I said to my players I was really proud of their character and the performance,” Harris said. “For 40 minutes we were excellent, 11 versus 11 what a good Millwall performance away from home.

“We got our noses in front and could have had three or four more, we could have been out of sight.

“And then we get a crazy decision on the red card. At the time and having seen it back, and having spoken to my players and their players on the pitch, no one could believe it was a red card.

“Lee is absolutely gutted, he feels really aggrieved. He’s not the sort of player to even make tackles let alone malicious ones.

“His reaction, as well as Steve Morison next to him and Shane Ferguson, two of the most honest players in the game, they couldn’t believe it.

“And having spoken to a couple of their players they were exactly the same. No one in the vicinity other than the referee thought it was a foul, yellow card at the very most, and if not a 50-50 ball.

“To get 2-0 in front was a real bonus and gave us a real opportunity to hang in there because they were putting us under pressure. They played some lovely football and hit the big man well.

“I thought we’d see it out but it wasn’t to be.”

Image: Millwall FC 

John Kelly