Report: Blackpool 2-1 Millwall

BLACKPOOL substitute Nathan Delfouneso denied Millwall a point with a stoppage-time winner at Bloomfield Road.

James Henry had given the Lions the lead with a goal scored direct from a corner but Thomas Ince drew the home side level after the break.

But just when Kenny Jackett’s side looked to have secured a deserved draw, Delfouneso struck to consign the visitors to their fourth straight league defeat.

Loan signing Benik Afobe was handed his debut up front after arriving from Arsenal on Friday alongside Rob Hulse, who was making his first start since joining from QPR.

Millwall could have gone ahead after just 28 seconds when Henry broke from midfield and played a through ball into the path of Martyn Woolford, but he pulled his shot wide.

Gary Taylor-Fletcher flashed an angled drive across the face of goal for the home side before Danny Shittu prodded Henry’s corner the wrong side of the post at the other end.

After Tangerines winger Matt Phillips drilled a low effort into the side netting, the Lions went even closer to taking the lead when Hulse hit the post from Woolford’s lost cross.

Woolford then had a volley charged down on the edge of the area but Millwall recycled possession and the ball eventually fell to Henry, who curled wide.

But Henry finally broke the deadlock in the 32nd minute when his corner from the right-hand side arrowed straight into the top corner, with ‘keeper Mark Halstead caught in no man’s land.

The former Reading man was at the forefront of every Lions attack and it was his pass that played in Hulse shortly before half-time, but the striker’s delicate chip came back off the crossbar.

Hulse had Millwall’s first effort on goal of the second period, heading Woolford’s hanging cross into Halstead’s arms after good work by Afobe on the halfway line.

But Blackpool drew level against the run of play just after the hour mark when Ince burst into a pocket of space on the edge of the area before dispatching a low shot into the bottom corner.

In the 72nd minute, Stephen Crainey thrashed a first-time drive inches wide of David Forde’s right-hand post, although the Republic of Ireland stopper looked to have had the shot covered anyway.

The woodwork came to the Lions’ rescue in the 84th minute when, after a goalmouth scramble and numerous blocked shots, Ince’s ferocious drive clipped the bar and went over.

As the game entered its final stages, Millwall became more of a threat on the counter-attack and Henry drilled straight at Halstead after a promising break.

But they were hit by a sucker punch in stoppage time when Delfouneso battled his way past Smith and finished beyond Forde to give the Seasiders the lead.

There was still time for one late, late Millwall chance but Shane Lowry’s ambitious half-volley smashed the bar deep into stoppage time.

Blackpool: Halstead, Baptiste, Cathcart, Broadfoot, Crainey, Angel, Basham, Gomes (Derbyshire, 58mins), Ince, Phillips (Delfouneso, 78mins), Taylor-Fletcher. Subs not used: Kettings, Wabara, Osbourne, Ferguson, Eccleston.

Millwall: Forde, A.Smith, Lowry, Abdou, Shittu, Beevers, Woolford (Feeney, 84mins), Trotter, Afobe (Keogh, 82mins), Hulse, Henry. Subs not used: M.Taylor, Dunne, Osborne, Marquis, Wright.